A LETTER OF OBJECTION ARTICULATED AND SUBMITTED BY THE URHOBO SUPREME YOUTH COUNCIL TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA OVER ITSEKIRIS INFLAMABLE AND INGLORIOUS CALL TO REPLACE THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF PROJECTS OF THE NIGER DELTA DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION (NDDC)
27th July, 2016
The National Security Adviser
To the President,
Federal Republic of Nigeria,
The Presidency, Abuja.
The Secretary To The Government
Of The Federation,
Federal Republic of Nigeria,
The Presidency, Abuja.
Yours Excellency Sir(s)
SECURITY IMPLICATIONS OF ITSEKIRIS’ CALL TO CHANGE THE NEW NDDC EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF PROJECTS (EDP), FROM AN URHOBO TO AN ITSEKIRI: NEED FOR GOVERNMENT TO LEARN FROM SIMILAR HISTORY OF CHANGING THE HEADQUARTERS OF WARRI SOUTH WEST LGA FROM OGBE-IJAW (AN IJAW COMMUNITY) TO OGIDIGBEN (AN ITSEKIRI COMMUNITY) IN 1997 ORCHESTRATED BY THE ITSEKIRIS.
We the National Executive Council of the above named youth organization, that Cordinates, Governs and Administer activities of Urhobo youths worldwide, respectfully write to draw your esteemed attention to the inflammable call made by our immediate neighbour (Itsekiris) in the region of the Niger Delta to change and replace the name submitted by Mr. President and undergoing confirmation at the senate in respect of the position of the “EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF PROJECTS OF THE NIGER DELTA DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION” (NDDC).
NSA Sir, we can not pretend to tell you that all is well with our people, we the Urhobos, after reading the purported petition from the Itsekiris against the leadership of the APC in Delta State in the Vanguard Newspapers 25th July, Urhobos, particularly the youths wonders why the Itsekiris always take pleasures in attacking Urhobo but not so with other tribes in the state. Tempers are high heaven in all Urhobo communities as we write you this letter. We are anxiously waiting for government action in this regard. We have it in good account, that, URHOBO YOUTHS HAVE VOWED TO RESIST ANY ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE NAME ALREADY ANNOUNCED, NOT EVEN WITH ANOTHER URHOBO… IT MUST BE THAT NAME!!!
It is our candid and collective opinions that, any attempt by the presidency to heed to that INGLORIOUS AND IGNOMINOUS CALL shall result to, not just an unpleasant situation, but a very devastating and tsunamic experience in the Warri area of the Niger Delta region.
ITESIKIRIS AND NIGER DELTA CRISES
The much talked about Niger Delta crises can be attributable to the over-zealousness of the Itsekiris to lord it over their neighbours, which are the Urhobos and Ijaws. The annoying aspect is that, they are the smallest tribe in the region. They can not fully peopled a 5 kilometers road, so tiny, that, they do not have one Local Government Council Area to themselves. Yet, they want to be the MASTERS in the region and make others followers or their slaves.
In 1997 when the then military administration created new Local Government Councils, the Warri South West LGA was among the council areas created and the headquarters was located at Ogbe-Ijaw, an Ijaw community. The Itsekiris because of their greed and carry-off to be lords over everyone, used their closeness then to the military administrator of Delta State to change and relocated the headquarters from the Ijaw community (Ogbe-Ijaw) to Itsekiri’s community (Ogidigben). The resultant effect that followed was the war commonly referred to as “IJAW/ITSEKIRI WAR” which later spilled-over to other parts and christened the Niger Delta crises. The truth is that, the Ijaws were never known to be violent people and have no history of such. But for the Itsekiris, who provoked them (the Ijaws) by taking what belongs to them. They saw it as an affront and went to war with the Itsekiris. The war lasted for about 2years before the headquarter was relocated back to the Ijaw’s community. Already, the damage associated with wars has been done, not just to the Itsekiris but to the entire region. Guns have found their ways to the hands of “ijaw boys” and since there is no more war, they started using the guns to kidnap people from the region. The kidnappings have no brother or sister as they also freely kidnapped their own kinsmen for ransoms. Concerned citizens from the region, moved against it and they changed their MODUS OPARANDI by going after foreigners/expatriates for the same ransom. And when there was general condemnation of the kidnapping for ransom, they changed their MODUS OPARANDI again, this time, attributing their action to neglect of the region by the oil companies, resources control, unemployment etc. This is the story of the genesis of the Niger Delta crises. The greed and over-zealousness of a tiny and smallest tribe trying to lord it over on others in the region.
This is how the tiny tribe of Itsekiri caused the Niger Delta crises still being talk about today. Therefore, it behoves on government to “LEARN FROM THIS HISTORY and not allow HISTORY TO REPEAT ITSELF in this circumstance.” The size of Urhobo to Itsekiri, is what China is to Taiwan. Any event of crises between the giant size Urhobo nation and tiny Itsekiri nation shall do nobody any good. It is our fervent prayer that, may we not come to a situation of war on this issue of the NDDC EDP position in Jesus Name, Amen.
NDDC ACT AND GREED OF THE ITSEKIRIS
The NDDC ACT 2000 clearly started how the position of the Chairman, Managing Director and the two Executive positions emerges. There is no where in the act were ethnic consideration was mentioned as basis for appointments. The act provides thus “there shall be for the commission, a Managing Director, and two Executives Directors who shall be indigenes of oil-producing areas and shall rotate amongst member state”. In the last administration, the Itsekiris cum Delta South because of their support to the government, virtually held almost all the positions; Governor, Minister, NDDC EDP and Commissioner and the state version of the NDDC (DESOPADEC), the Urhobos’ do not complain, but despite the massive support Urhobo gave the APC, this is the only appointment that has come to us and the Itsekiris want to take it, we shall resist this with our last blood!
ITSEKIRIS’ FALSEHOOD OF HISTORY
There is a common trait amongst the Itsekiris, they peddle falsehood and go about with blackmail stories to hold on and get whatever they want. Their stock in trades are ENVY, HATE, THREAT and SPEAKING LIES AS TRUTH against their neigbours.Their continual hold to the administration of the three Warri local councils is as a result of these. Warri is occupied by 3 main tribes namely; URHOBOS, IJAWS AND ITSEKIRIS and the Itsekiris are the minority in each of the local government council, but for their living falsehoods, they dominate the affairs of the council areas. Warri is the only place in the whole world still practicing APARTHEID. The ANTICS of the ITSEKIRIS to HOODWINKED GOVERNMENT to do their bidding is a well documented history. But we the Urhobos shall not allow them this time with this position of the Executive Director of Projects of the NDDC, especially when we know that they did not and never campaigned or supported the candidature of President Buhari during the campaigns and elections. The Itsekiris now running everywhere in Abuja only came to APC after President Buhari has been declared winner and they did not even still vote for the APC candidate in the governorship election of Delta State.
Excellency Sirs, it is on the strength of the above we wholeheartedly condemned the IGNOMINIOUS CALL made by the Itsekiris through their representatives; Robinson Ariyo, Felix Ighonmieyetan and David Odeli as contained in the OPEN LETTER addressed to Mr. President published in the Vanguard Newspaper Tuesday 26th July, 2016. (page herein attached)
- We the Urhobos prayerfully plead you to use your good office as adviser to Mr. President on security to advice Mr. President against TEMPERING with the concluded NDDC BOARD APPOINTMENTS as it relates to the position of the Executive Director of Projects undergoing confirmation at the SENATE.
- We prayerfully plead you sir, to use your good office to advice MR. PRESIDENT to allow the STATUS QUO of the NDDC APPOINTMENTS to remain, especially as it affects Delta State. That, any changes shall have SECURITY IMPLICATIONS in the Warri area of Delta State because TEMPERS ARE HIGH RIGHT NOW!
- We respectfully call on MR. PRESIDENT to be conscious and weary of the antics of the Itsekiris of Delta Sate, not only on this issues alone but many more to come because they are good at Blackmailous Stories, Falsehood and Deceptions. Needless to say that, the Itsekiris have no one Local Government Area of their own. They do not have the population to peopled a local government area alone, as against the Urhobos with undisputed Eight Local Government Area Councils with population conveniently put at over three million (3m), is certainly more than states like Nasarawa, Bayelsa, Ebonyi and Ekiti States. We have the capacity to deal with these CHALLENGES the ITSEKIRIS HAS CHALLENGED US TO.
Finally, we want to applaud the effort of Mr. President in fashioning a meaningful and lasting solution to the Niger Delta region in this trying times. We salute his VISION and EMOTIONAL GENEROSITY in this regard. Our very dear esteemed President has been STEADFAST in his commitment to the region not just to find solution to the MILITANCY but to make the region SAFE AND BETTER.
OUR LOVE FOR MR. PRESIDENT kindled our desire to write this letter by way of PEACE INITIATIVE.
We bank on your WISE COUNSEL AND PRAY GOD to give Mr. President the needed wisdom to heed to wise counsel by not heeding to the Itsekiris provocative and inflammable call capable of truncating the already fragile peace in Warri axis of Delta State. As the Bible says, “IN THE COUNSEL OF MANY IS MUCH WISDOM”
A STICH IN TIME SAVES NINE
Yours in Urhobo Service.
1. OLOROGUN (MALLAM) EFE OLOWU
Supreme President, Urhobo Supreme Youth Council (2012 till date)
First and only Elected Vice President, Urhobo Progress Union (UPU) Youth Wing (2004).
National Secretary, Urhobo Monitoring And Development Group (UMDG) (2014 till date)
The only Urhobo Youth Group that have rescued kidnapped victims from Kidnappers and also challenged our neighbour to war in midst of constant threat and intimidation.
Ex National Secretary, Urhobo National United Grassroots Organization (UNUGO) 2001-2004.
The only Urhobo Youth group that critically Participated in the Okere/Itsekiri War.
- Comrade C. Anibor, National Secretary (Okpe Kingdom)
- Comrade Oscar Okoro, Publicity Secretary (Udu Kingdom)
- Edwin Egor, Treasure (Uwheru Kingdom)
- Efe Ighogbadu, Assist. Secretary (Okere Warri Kingdom)
- Fellix Etabunor, Organizing Secretary (Agbarha – Warri)
- Chief Edward Eta, P.R.O. (Agbon Kingdom)
- Igho Obadafe, Director, Welfare (Oghara Kingdom)
- Alfred Wilson, Vice President (Jesse Kingdom)
- Ochoku Owhofasa, Fin. Secretary (Ughelli Kingdom)
- Efe Awhenameh, National Auditor (Ogor Kingdom.)
- Freedom Atu, Provost Marshall (Orogun Kingdom)
- David Irikefe, Provost Marshall II (Ewu Kingdom)
- Bishop Joshua Ata Spiritual Leader (Church) (Agbarha Kingdom)
- Kingsley Edah, Spiritual leader (Igbe) Arhawarhian Kingdom)
- Ezikiel Kupa, Assist. Welfare (Okparebe Kingdom)
- Philip Ogaga, Director, Research (Mosogar Kingdom)
- Philip Orode, Dep. Director, Research ( Uvwie Kingdom)
- Ese Umukoro, Ex-officio (Effurun – Otor)
- Oniovo Umuze, Director, Culture (Olomu Kingdom)
- Fidelis Okparobo, Ex-officio (Evwreni Kingdom)
- Oshevire Akpobaro, Ex-officio (Umiagwa – Abraka)
- Esenone Oha, Ex-officio (Ughievwen Kingdom)
- Omavwe Eridi, Ex-officio (Oruarivie – Abraka)
- The Senate President, National Assembly, Abuja
- Speaker, House of Representatives, National Assembly, Abuja
- The Chief Of Staff To The President, Presidency, Abuja
- The National Chairman, APC, Abuja
- The Chief of Defence Staff , Ministry of Defence, Abuja
- The Inspector General of Police, The Nigeria Police force, Force Headquarters, Abuja.
- Hon. Chibuike Ameachi, APC South South Leader
- Senator Ovie Omo Agege, National Assembly, Abuja.
- The Zonal Chairman, APC, South South, Abuja.
- The Director General, Buhari Support Group Centre, Abuja.
- Olorogun Otega Emerhor , APC Leader, Delta State.
- Lovette Idisi, Member, House of Representatives
- Solomon Awhinawhi, House of Representatives
- Hon Evelyn Oboro, House of Representatives
- Oghene Emma Egoh, House of Representatives
- The State Chairman, APC, Delta State.